Help Nashville flood victims
Yes, some still need your help
- Use GoodSearch.com as your search engine, set Hands on Nashville as your charity (or whomever you choose), and a few cents for every one of your web searches goes to that charity!
- Donate to the Red Cross of Middle Tennessee
This Nordic Backup would have helped those whose computers were swamped in the flood to at least save irreplaceable photos and other electronic documents. I’ve been trying it out for a several weeks now, and it seems to work well. You can get 30 days free by clicking here.
Install multiple apps at once without toolbars or clicking Next
Fantastic online app here. It does what I’ve done before (not a working copy), but they do it better. I’m not jealous. I’m not a programmer, really, I’m an “implementer/integrator.” Yeah, that’s it. 🙂 Oh yeah, here’s the link: http://ninite.com/
Cool feature recently discovered on Google Translate
I received an error in a program that was in some foreign language I didn’t even recognize, let alone understand. I went to translate.google.com and typed in one of the words and chose “Detect language” in the “Translate from..” box. It told me that word was Danish. Look here: http://translate.google.com. And now they’ve added a “Show romanization” option, which I could have used when trying to learn Russian leading up to our adoption a couple years ago. Amazing! I thought so, anyway. 🙂
Old computer parts for sale
Used, but guaranteed to work. See what we’ve got here: http://nashvillecomputerhelp.com/shop/
Possible email solution
For those of you running your own Microsoft Exchange server (and paying someone $60K/year to run it), you might consider the following from Microsoft: Business Productivity Online Standard Suite. It might simplify things, though I haven’t personally tested it. Of course, Google and GoDaddy (and many others) provide the same sort of thing.
A new type of “phishing” scam
Here’s the link (the one to READ about it, not the one that infects your computer!): http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/a-new-type-of-phishing-attack/
Completely unrelated to computers
Just thought I’d mention a few of my family members’ websites. 🙂
- Tara’s Favorites (coupons, petcare, etc.)
- Conquest Math (math tutoring)
- Doug’s Place (tools, genealogy, etc.)
- Flush the Bums Out (political watchdog)
- FriendsNews (family/friends newsletter)
- Harmony Haven (horse rescue)
- Job Elephant (job ad placement)
- My Old Boss (candidate research tool)
- Nightshadow Rottweilers (dog training)
- Tangy Fruit Girl (“girlie” art)
I have a BIG family. 🙂 And on that note, until next time, here’s to happy (and safe) computing! See ya.