Q: I had some problems with this program. I fixed the POP and SMTP server designations, and it works now. However, I’ve lost my contacts – the folder is blank. The funny thing is, when I type some letters in the “to” box, names come up. Do you have any idea how I can restore my contacts list?
A: From this web page, http://www.woanware.co.uk/?page_id=89, try this free tool, http://www.woanware.co.uk/downloads/EseDbViewer.v.1.0.5.zip. After installing it, open it and point it to the following directory:
"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Windows Live Contacts"
You might have multiple randomly-named folders in there.
- Drill down into each one and open the "contacts.edb" file.
- In there, find one that has items in the Email Address table
- Highlight and export that table to a "CSV Current Table" file
- Open up your Windows Live Mail program and go to the Contacts tab
- Click File, Import, CSV
- Assign the Address field to Live Contact’s Email Address field. The interface looks weird/clunky, but it works.
- Click OK, Finish, etc. when ready.
That should do it.